Postdoctoral research fellow
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to lead innovative research in the electrophysiology of Parkinson’s disease with the goal of defining circuits that modulate behavior and developing novel neurostimulation strategies.
Dr. Miocinovic is a movement disorders neurologist and a biomedical engineer with expertise in translational and clinical electrophysiology studies. Her laboratory at Emory University focuses on brain network pathophysiology in movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, dystonia and tremor) and the effects of deep brain stimulation (DBS). The methods used include: 1) intracranial recordings during DBS surgeries (single-units, local field potentials, electrocorticography) and 2) non-invasive EEG under various medication and stimulation conditions. These approaches are enhanced by advanced imaging techniques, patient-specific computational modeling, behavioral tasks, quantitative symptom monitoring, and machine learning, developed in the lab or through collaborative efforts.
A postdoctoral fellow would spearhead a project to identify neural circuits involved in therapeutic benefit and side effects induced by DBS in patients with Parkinson’s disease. The aim is to understand how deep brain stimulation affects those circuits in individual patients and devise strategies to optimize therapy. Intraoperative and clinic-based experiments can be pursued.
This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in translational computational neuroscience. We offer cutting-edge scientific projects, attentive mentoring and multi-disciplinary collaborations in a world-class research environment at Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology.
The position is available immediately.
- PhD in Neuroscience, Biomedical Engineering, Neural engineering or related disciplines
- Advanced quantitative skills (including expertise in Matlab or similar)
- Strong scientific writing ability and oral communication skills
- Ability to independently run experiments in a clinical environment
- Record of first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Experience in neurophysiological studies
How to Apply:
- Apply by sending the following to Dr. Miocinovic (email@example.com)
- Current CV
- Cover letter describing interest and relevant experience for the project
- Three reference contacts